Danielle Walker is quickly becoming one of my favorite people: transforming her life and saving it through food. A true testament to the power of food as medicine. Read her story about her own health transformation here. The author of the popular blog, Against All Grain, Danielle has now come out with a 150+ recipe book of the same name – and at first glance all I can say is: WOW.
Every page looks like a painting – a perfect picture capturing a homey sense of comfort and delicious-looking foods. If I could, I’d jump into the photos and eat my way out of each and every page :) She’s got a recipe for just about anything you’d want from your pre-paleo plate. Waffles? Got it. Sandwich bread? Yep, it’s in there. Pies? Ohhhhh yes. You know how big of a dessert fan I am and her dessert section is phenomenal.
But treats and cheats aren't the only thing valuable in the book. Danielle's got all the bases covered here – from the basics like sauces & almond milk, to main courses and sides that bring the meat to the table. I personally love the “For the Kid in All of Us” section including such faves as fruit roll-ups and crispy chicken tenders. We should never lose the kid in us.
What’s great about Against All Grain is how accessible this book is to people outside the Paleo community. Gluten-free folks will love it, and I guarantee if you cook something out of this book for a grain-eater, they’ll love you and never know it was Paleo. I cannot tell you enough how beautiful this book is – I might just leave it on my coffee table it’s that good-lookin.
Against All Grain is available now, and Danielle was kind enough to share her recipe for – wait for it – MINT CHIP ICE CREAM. Yes, you heard me right!
Against All Grain - Mint Chip Ice Cream
- Place the coconut milk and mint leaves in a saucepan over medium-high heat for 10 minutes
- Place the warm coconut milk, mint, and honey in a bowl and mix until the honey has dissolved. Stir in the almond milk and peppermint extract. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
- Pour the mixture into a blender and add the avocado, coconut oil, and coloring if desired. Blend until smooth.
- Place mixture in an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's instructions until the mixture has reached a soft serve consistency.
- Stir the chocolate in by hand.
- Spoon the ice cream into an airtight container on top and freeze until firm, about 2 hours.
- Serve immediately, or slightly defrost the ice cream in the refrigerator for 1 hour for later serving.
****Disclosure: If you purchase any of the products linked in this post or products through the links on the right side of my page, I receive a small percentage from the respected affiliate programs****