Howdy folks! This is an updated and enhanced version of a post from 2016 all about how to make incredible homemade mayo that tastes great and literally takes less than a minute. I’ve even included a video, above the two versions of the recipe at the bottom of the page, showing me in action making this mayo.
First off, I recommend using an immersion blender, but you can also use a regular blender or food processor. You could also do it by hand if you want to get super ripped . . . but I think you’ll find the immersion blender easier.
When I was a child, I was addicted to mayonnaise. Not real mayonnaise like this easy homemade mayo, but the crappy fake stuff like Miracle Whip and Hellmann’s. Yucky. To be honest, it tasted great but I know it was just full of junk. Once I went Paleo, I figured I was going to live the rest of my life without mayonnaise.
Well, I am so happy I was wrong. I learned how to make my own and some amazing companies came to market with mayonnaise products I love. But what I love more than anything is staying in my pajamas which means making it at home is the best way!
Easy Homemade Mayo (Mayonnaise)
The reason this easy homemade mayo works so well is the simplicity of the ingredients and using some basic tools that make this possible. Normally mayonnaise recipes tell you to have a room temperature egg. To slowly pour the oil in and blah blah. That takes too long.
All you need to accomplish 1-minute immersion blender mayonnaise is:
- An immersion blender. This is the ninja kitchen tool that makes this work. For this recipe, it HAS to be an immersion blender. If you don’t have one, there is a regular recipe below it. The immersion blender I use is the Kitchenaid Pro Line which is an investment but you can use any of these as well.
- 1 glass jar which you will use to make and store your easy homemade mayo. Make sure that you use A TALL AND NARROW JAR with an opening that’s just wide enough to accommodate your immersion blender. I use a 1-pint wide mouth mason jar.
One really important note about this easy homemade mayo is to only use light tasting oil. Trust me or you will end up with disgusting mayo that your dog wouldn’t eat.
I would highly recommend using the oils I do, which are avocado oil, macadamia nut oil, a really light olive oil, almond oil or even walnut oil. You can also use a mixture of oils but anything besides what I listed will create an overpowering flavor you can’t eat.
If you make this recipe and the emulsion breaks, add an egg to another mason jar glass, pour your broken mayo on top of it and blend again with your immersion blender at the bottom for 20 seconds before moving.
Check out the video below to follow along with me making this mayo! You can jump to 8:53 if you want to go right to the mayo making. (Note: the video is a previously recorded Facebook Live video.)
Easy Homemade Mayo (No immersion blender)
- 1 whole large egg right from refrigerator
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 scant cup of avocado oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- fresh herbs and seasonings
- 1 garlic clove peeled and chopped
- Once mixed slowly start dripping your oil in
- I drip 1 tbsp of oil at a time and let it mix for at least a minute
- As you continue to add your oil, it will emulsify but continue to add slowly so you don't break it
- Once your mayonnaise is done, then you can hand mix in any optional ingredients you want
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week
- Invest in an immersion blender so you can make the mayo faster like above