Holy moly, it's a new recipe and it's not a dessert. Honestly though, beets are like dessert for me right now. My awesome buddy Pete got me hooked on beets and taught me how simple they are to prepare and have on hand. They really are scrumptious and can be used in so many ways that you HAVE to go cook with them now. So occasionally, Lindsey and I go out to dinner and are always on the hunt for the best farm-to-table restaurants or restaurants that have a focus on local meats etc. We have found a few favorites and there is always one common factor, everything single one of them has some sort of beet appetizer. So, since we are all trying to be fancy, now we get to have a beet appetizer that is simple to make and loaded with flavor.
The goat cheese in this recipe is obviously optional but I have been tolerating it well and loving the flavor. It ties together all of the components of this dish perfectly and just gets my taste buds excited talking about it. Speaking of excited, I have a secret. Well I guess it's not a secret if I tell you but I am starting a Podcast real soon and I can't wait to share it with you. All the back end stuff is getting set up now and then we are off and running. I will even be including video so you get to laugh at my goofy mannerisms and watch me get caught eating bacon when I forget there is a camera on. Keep your eyes peeled.
I can't wait to read your comments on this salad and please leave me some feedback on your variations. We made it again after I photographed it and used a delicious honey balsamic which was amazing. Have an amazing day and I look forward to sharing some #hugsandbacon.
Beet Salad with Goat Cheese and Toasted Almonds
- 4 beets cooked peeled and sliced (detailed below)
- 2 cups frisee
- 1 apple cored and sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup goat cheese optional
- 1 tablespoon grass-fed butter or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- Trim the beets
- Place the beets in a large saucepan and cover with water
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour
- Place pot under running cold water and let rinse until beets can be handled
- Peel of the skins by hand and then slice into 1/4 inch chunks for salad
- Preheat saute pan over medium heat and melt butter or coconut oil
- Toss your almonds in the pan and stir frequently while they lightly toast, about 5 minutes
- Remove from the heat and set aside
- Toss your sliced beets in a large bowl and add your frisee, apple, almonds and toss well
- Coat with your olive oil, sprinkle your sea salt and mix one more time
- Top your salad with your goat cheese and serve
****Disclosure: If you purchase any of the products linked in this post or products through the links on the right side of my page, I receive a small percentage from the respected affiliate programs.****