Seeing these Apple Cider Donuts from the brand new book Sweet Paleo cause me to instantly start day dreaming. I remember cold fall days at the apple orchard holding a cup of steaming apple cider watching homemade donuts come down the line anticipating shoving them in my mouth. How I described that may show you just how much I love donuts, this flavor especially. These apple cider donuts are just one of the amazing new recipes in Lea's new book and I can't wait to enjoy these many times over.
Before I get too far into this post, Lea's book Sweet Paleo hit the shelves today and is an amazing deal. It is only $14.64 at the time of writing this on Amazon. You get more than 90 new gluten-free dessert recipes to make your taste buds dance. Grab your copy here and then go enjoy these apple cider donuts.
Apple Cider Donuts
I have been Paleo for just under 4 years. I started my Paleo journey to overcome a 12 year battle with bulimia as well as heal my body from the inside out. Once my body started healing I learned that I had many food intolerances. I suffer from Celiac disease, I am lactose-intolerant and pretty much any food that isn't paleo causes me to peel paint off the walls.
I used to look at my circumstances like they were limiting or unfair. The truth is, they created the space for me to truly explore health, my body and my relationship with food. The best part of that journey so far has been discovering how amazing foods that are gluten, grain, dairy and soy free taste as well as nourishing my body. One of those amazing recipes is looking right back at you now, these apple cider donuts.
Another thing I grew up eating were munchkins from Dunkin Donuts. Those things were phenomenal and phenomenally bad for me at every bite. After you are done making these apple cider donuts you should try my glazed chocolate donut holes next. Just to be clear, I wasn't intending this post to be bossy, it's just delicious food makes me somewhat passionate. Just to recap what “I think” you should do today :)
- Grab your copy of the brand new book Sweet Paleo Here
- Make this delicious Apple Cider Donut Recipe
- Make my Glazed Chocolate Donut Holes recipe
- Download my new Paleo Foods Shelf Life Guide to keep your food fresh
Making that list made me feel like an awesome teacher setting you up to win. So go start on your homework and conquer the day. Enjoy.
Apple Cider Donuts
- ½ cup (56 grams) coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons liquefied coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ cup warm apple cider
Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- Preheat a mini donut maker, or if using a standard oven, preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a standard donut pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil and honey.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined.
- Add the apple cider and mix until fully incorporated into the dough. Allow the dough to rest for about 3 minutes to ensure the moisture is absorbed by the coconut flour.
- Scoop the donut batter into the preheated donut maker. (A cookie scoop makes it easy; use one that measures about 1½ tablespoons.)
- Close the lid and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. If baking in an oven, bake in a prepared donut pan for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for another 20 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Carefully remove the cooked donuts from the pan.
- Either brush the donuts with melted ghee or dip them in to cover both sides. Toss the donuts with the cinnamon-sugar mixture until coated.
****Disclosure: If you purchase any of the products linked in this post or products through the links on the right side of my page, I receive a small percentage from the respected affiliate programs****