And just as a quick reminder, make sure you are following me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter to stay on top of all my exciting (or not to exciting news and life) And to be honest, the more of you that like me, follow me, share my page and my posts makes it easier for me to keep offering awesome giveaways. So thanks for all the love and support. Oh and if you look at the top of your screen, I made it easier to share, there should be a bar with Facebook and Twitter on it now.
Sweet Potato Orange Soup for Boombox Crossfit
- 2 large sweet potatoes mine were 1 pound a piece
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced thin
- 1 celery stalk sliced thin
- 1 orange zested and juiced, should get you 1/2 cup fresh juice
- 2 tablespoon bacon fat melted
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- sea salt to taste
- coconut milk optional in soup, and used to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 425 Degrees Fahrenheit, poke holes in your sweet potatoes with a fork and place on aluminum foil in your oven for ~45-60 minutes or until your sweet potatoes are cooked through and able to pierce with a fork
- Preheat your 3 quart sauce pan over medium heat and add your bacon fat
- Add your carrots, celery, thyme, and sea salt to your bacon fat and cover, reduce heat to low and let your veggies steam in the bacon fat until your veggies are soft
- Your sweet potatoes should be done now, scrape out all the flesh of the potato and add to your pan as well as your chicken stock and orange zest
- Cover and keeping heat on low let simmer for 15-20 minutes
- Stir in your orange juice and then using a blender or your immersion blender make the soup happen
- If you would like your soup creamy, add between 1/2 - 1 Cup full fat coconut milk and mix well
- Transfer your soup to a serving bowl, sprinkle with some fresh thyme leaves and top with some coconut milk
***Disclosure: If you purchase any of the products linked in this post or products through the links on the right side of my page, I receive a small percentage from the respected affiliate programs***
What can I use instead of celery and bacon fat?
Nothing really. Those are both essential flavors to the recipe. Sorry!
actually, you can’t get anywhere near bacon flavor by substituting, but i can’t eat pig, so i used a little butter, onion powder, and smoked paprika. probably sweet paprika or a drop of maple syrup in addition would get it closer (for the sweetness of bacon). it’s not really bacon flavor, but it’s *flavor* and the soup i made tastes awesome.
if you just don’t like celery, you could prob sub onions for celery if you really want. it doesn’t taste LIKE celery when it’s in the soup, and the texture is not there (since it’s pureed), if that’s why you’re subbing it.
Looks awesome! Could you use this recipe and substitute Butternut Squash or Pumpkin? Or do you have any recipes for those kinds of soups?
Of course you could supplement either and I have a few butternut squash recipes too
I made this soup last night and it was delicious! I have some left over for dinner tonight :-)
Awesome Nathalie, I love it cold too
This sounds perfect! Did you whip the coconut to make it looks so pretty?
No tallmisto, I just used the coconut milk off the top of the can that was hardened
Awesome Deb, I can’t wait to hear what you and the girls think. I truely hope you enjoy :)
this looks awesome! will definitely be making it soon.
random question: if i were to click on one of the featured items (such as the immersion blender), do you only get a percentage if i buy the new product, or do you still get a percentage if i buy used/refurbished? i’m willing to pay a few bucks more to support ya, but just wanted to double check!
Thank you so much Annie for asking. I am pretty sure I only get the percentage for the new products
glad i asked :)
I’m glad your awesome