I have not been much of a chicken person since going Paleo. Main reasons being is I refuse to buy meat in the store, I have an addiction to grass-fed beef and bacon, and when I would find chicken it just didn't taste right to me so I kind of did the out of sight out of mind. Well, when Primal Pastures happened to pop up in my backyard it was really hard to keep it out of mind. After talking to one of the owners I decided to dive in and see what this highly talked about chicken was all about. It didn't disappoint.
Tomato Balsamic Spatchcocked Chicken
- Take your chicken, rinse it thoroughly under cold water and then pat it dry
- Take your kitchen shears and you are going to spatchcock your chicken and then cut it in half
- Place your chicken halves in a ziploc bag and pour the Tomato Balsamic Marinade all over them ensuring you coat everything
- Remove the air, seal the bag and place in your refrigerator for at least 6 hours and up to 48 hours
- Once your chicken is marinated, remove it from the fridge at least an hour prior to grilling, smoking or baking to ensure even cooking.
- If you are going to smoke this chicken, preheat your smoker on high and once hot, sear both sides of the chicken halves for 5-10 minutes to get crispy, turn the heat down and smoke on 225 for ~2 hours or until an internal temperature of 160 degrees in the breast or 180 degrees in the thigh
- If you are going to grill this chicken, preheat the grill for medium high heat. Once preheated, place chicken halves on direct heat and grill for 10 minutes a side to crisp, then move over medium indirect heat for ~30 more minutes or until an internal temperature of 160 degrees is reached in the breast or 180 in the thigh
- If you choose to bake this in the oven, preheat your oven to 350, and bake the chicken until an internal temp of 150 degrees is reached in the breast or 170 degrees in the thigh. Then turn your broiler on high and finish the chicken to crisp the skin and finish the cooking until done
- Once done, let the chicken rest for 10-15 minutes and then serve
****Disclosure: If you purchase any of the products linked in this post or products through the links on the right side of my page, I receive a small percentage from the respected affiliate programs****