Phew what a week it has been so far and it’s only Wednesday, EEEEEEK!!! We have been eating way too many dates and macadamia nuts thanks to stress, so it’s time to wrangle ourselves back under control.
Hickory Smoked Beef Brisket
- To prep the brisket whether you are smoking it or cooking it in the oven you need to rinse it under cold water and pat dry
- Use your yellow mustard and spread it evenly over your entire brisket and then rub in a liberal amount of the Caveman Rub making a nice crust over the whole brisket
- If you can, wrap the whole brisket in plastic wrap and just let sit in the refrigerator for a few hours up to overnight, to let those flavors meld
- When you're ready to cook your brisket, ensure you pull it out of the refrigerator at least an hour prior to your starting to cook it
- Once it has come to room temperature, melt together the butter and honey in the microwave
- If you are smoking your brisket, get your smoker to around 200 degrees F
- If you are cooking it in the oven, preheat your oven to 220 degrees F
- Using a marinade injector inject that brisket with the honey butter as full as you can get it and this is where the steps split
- If you are smoking it, now is the time to go put that brisket fat side up on the smoker and get ready to sit on your hands for close to 16 hours. That brisket needs to smoke for a LONG TIME and the more you open the lid, the longer it will take. After 5 hours we sprayed apple juice on the brisket every hour until the internal temperature reached 190 degrees F
- If you are using your oven, wrap your seasoned and injected brisket tightly in heavy duty aluminum foil ensuring the fat side is up. Place in the oven and then leave it alone for like 8-9 hours. You are shooting for the same internal temperature of 190 Degrees here. We recommend prepping the brisket the day before and starting in the morning for dinner. It is almost a must to have a leave in a meat thermometer as well so you never have to open your oven.
- Once your meats are done let rest for about 10 minutes and then slice AGAINST the grain.
Want to learn which ingredients are the best to cook with?
Check out our friends over at Wellness Force Radio and learn about how good nutrition impacts your health: