It’s that time of year, the annual event where people eat too much food, drink too much beer and watch grown adults slam each other on the ground. Know what I am talking about: The Super Bowl. I may not be a huge football fan, but I am all for eating massive amounts of delicious food. That is why I created this post for all the super bowl snacks you could ever need. You can choose from dips, burgers, desserts and many more. Do you have any favorite super bowl snacks? If so, leave me a comment so I can try them.
One of the things that happens every year, is I always eat too much. I mean, you can’t blame me when there are so many amazing super bowl snacks at hand’s reach. I am not going to tell you not to eat as much as you can, I am going to give you some tips to make sure you feel good the next day.
Super Bowl Snacks – Healthy Eating Strategies
- Don’t starve yourself on game day: Instead of starving yourself to leave room for all the delicious food, make an effort to eat nutrient-dense, satisfying meals leading up to the Super Bowl party. This will prevent you from showing up like a famished wolf and devouring everything in sight. One good decision always leads to another so get the positive momentum building in your favor with a hearty breakfast of bacon, butter and coffee.
- Work your booty out: You don’t have to just workout your booty, but you can if you want. I have nothing against Jane Fonda and some retro workout videos. You are about to watch the fittest (and overpaid) athletes in the world make some amazing plays, get on their level and do a workout before the party!
- Drink water (with your booze): Water is important for everyone and will help reduce mindless munching. While watching the game, match every beverage you consume with at least 1 glass of water.
- Make a Game Plan: Sticking to our healthy eating habits is all about having a plan (or making one on the fly). When it comes to social events, a good rule of thumb is to take matters into your own hands by bringing something of your own that’s healthy and delicious. Luckily, if you scroll down there are about 30 options for Super Bowl snacks waiting for you.
- Don’t let the other team win: You know the party is going to be loaded with temptations. There’s going to be candy, pizza, wings, soft pretzels and probably ice cream. Know your personal strengths and weaknesses so come up with a strategy that plays to your strengths. My strategy is to find the best paleo option, and eat it all :)
- Be nice to yourself: You are going to see a room full of temptations and you may even fumble. Once you fumble, the best way back to success is to pick up the ball and choose healthy in the next moment. Binging is like getting a flat tire, and instead of changing it you choose to slash the other three. Not fun and it makes non sense.
- Stay grounded and honest with yourself: Use commercials, time outs, and breaks to regroup. What have you eaten? Are you comfortably satisfied or uncomfortably full? Sounds like a silly question, but eating while watching a game can make it extremely easy to mindlessly munch. If you find yourself stuffed, time to drink some water and stop. Or you are really crazy, you can always do some burpees.
- Have fun: Yes, you read that right, have fun. Being at a Super Bowl party is all about seeing friends, watching a game and laughing. No need to be obsessive or avoid a social situation. Show up, do your best and have an amazing time. Tomorrow is a new day and you get to smile again. So what Super Bowl snacks are you going to make and bring?
That tweet really stops me in my tracks every time I read it. Like I stated in the beginning, I am not a huge football fan and since I grew up 5 minutes from the Patriots, I hope they win (without cheating). Have an amazing time, eat some delicious Super Bowl snacks and have fun.