One of the common reactions to a keto diet is, “Does it taste good?” or “Is it fulfilling?”
There are many ways to spice up a keto recipe. In this article, we explore how CBD can be used to make keto dishes more exciting.
What is CBD?
CBD (cannabidiol) is a natural compound extracted from the Cannabis sativa plant. It is a popular compound as it is made from hemp plants that contain low levels of THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), the psychoactive compound responsible for the “high” associated with marijuana use. This allows users to enjoy the benefits of CBD without the negative effects of a lingering ‘high.’
What are the Benefits of CBD?
CBD oil has gained popularity for its potential therapeutic benefits, which include:
- Pain relief: Some research suggests that CBD oil may help alleviate chronic pain by reducing inflammation and interacting with neurotransmitters.
- Anxiety and depression reduction: CBD oil has shown promise in treating anxiety and depression, possibly due to its interaction with serotonin receptors in the brain.
- Sleep improvement: CBD oil may help improve sleep quality by reducing anxiety, pain, and other factors that can contribute to sleep disturbances.
- Neuroprotective properties: CBD oil has shown potential for treating neurological disorders, such as epilepsy and multiple sclerosis, by reducing inflammation and protecting nerve cells.
- Anti-inflammatory effects: CBD oil may have anti-inflammatory properties, which can be helpful in managing conditions like arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, and skin conditions like eczema and acne.
- Heart health: Some studies suggest that CBD oil may help improve heart health by reducing blood pressure and preventing heart damage due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Substance abuse treatment: CBD oil has been researched for its potential to help people with substance abuse issues by reducing drug cravings and withdrawal symptoms.
- Cancer-related symptom relief: CBD oil can help alleviate symptoms such as pain, nausea, and vomiting, and CBD may have anti-tumor effects, although more research is needed to confirm this.
It’s important to note that more research is needed to fully understand the full reach of the benefits and the risks associated with consuming CBD products. Always consult with a healthcare professional before using CBD oil. That said, let’s look at some ways you can incorporate CBD oils into your cooking once you get the green light from your doctor!
CBD and Keto- A Match Made in Heaven?
The keto, or ketogenic, diet has become a hot topic of conversation in health and wellness circles. Many keto diet benefits mirror the benefits of CBD oil, the oil made from the cannabis-extract cannabidiol. But is CBD keto-friendly? The short answer is yes. In fact, CBD oil may even help you reach your keto goals — and a keto diet could help make CBD more effective. Sounds like a win-win, huh? Read on to learn how to optimize both your CBD usage and keto diet!
Using CBD Oil on a Keto Diet
If you’re on or have tried a keto diet, you’re probably accustomed to double-checking labels and doing some online sleuthing to make sure everything you eat is keto-approved. Don’t change that habit when it comes to shopping for CBD oil.
Here’s your shopping checklist for keto-friendly CBD products.
- Avoid sugar and corn syrup. Go for a CBD oil sweetened with stevia instead. Stevia is super low in carbs, making it a-okay as an alternative sweetener on the keto diet.
- Use a CBD oil product with a carrier oil that complements your keto diet, such as MCT oil. This makes it easier to measure and helps avoid getting too much CBD in a dish at one time.
- Find a product made from organically-cultivated hemp to avoid exposure to agricultural chemicals. After all, you’re on a keto diet to improve your health — you don’t need to be back-tracking by consuming toxins.
- Choose a CBD keto product that are easy to use and incorporate into your cooking. This might be CBD softgels, or a CBD oil tincture.
Cooking with cannabis and related products can be a fun and rewarding experience if it is done correctly.We do suggest using an edible dosage calculator to make sure you get the perfect mix between a tasty treat, and a nice buzz.
Tips for Using CBD Oils in Your Cooking
CBD oil can be easily incorporated into your cooking to add potential health benefits and a unique flavor profile. Before using CBD oil, ensure you purchase a high-quality, food-grade product from a reputable source. Here are some tips on how to use CBD oil in your cooking:
- Start with a low dosage: When starting out, use a low dosage of CBD oil to avoid overpowering the taste of your food. You can adjust the dosage accordingly as you become more familiar with the flavor and effects.
- Combine with other oils or fats: CBD oil is fat-soluble and can be easily mixed with other oils or fats. Combine CBD oil with carrier oils like olive, coconut, or avocado oil to ensure even distribution throughout your dish.
- Infuse at low temperatures: High heat can degrade CBD oil and reduce its effectiveness. To preserve its properties, infuse CBD oil into your recipes at low temperatures. Avoid deep-frying or sautéing with CBD oil, and instead use it in dressings, sauces, or as a finishing oil.
- Incorporate into baked goods: CBD oil can be used in baked goods such as cookies, brownies, and cakes. Just substitute a portion of the recipe’s required fat with CBD oil. Be mindful of the baking temperature and try to keep it below 320°F (160°C) to prevent CBD degradation.
- Use in beverages: CBD oil can be added to smoothies, shakes, and other beverages. Blend the oil with other ingredients to ensure proper mixing and even distribution.
- Mix with savory dishes: CBD oil can also be used in soups, stews, and sauces. Add it towards the end of the cooking process to preserve its beneficial properties.
- Experiment with flavors: CBD oil has a distinct taste that can vary depending on the brand and extraction process. Experiment with different recipes to find what works best for your taste buds.
Final Thoughts on CBD and Cooking
Always start with a small amount of CBD oil and gradually increase the dosage as needed. It’s essential to be aware of the recommended daily intake and consult with a healthcare professional before adding CBD oil to your diet. Once you begin using CBD oils in your cooking, you can start to experiment and find what meals you like best and what flavor combinations tickle your taste buds!
Want to unlock greater wellness?
Listen to our friends over at the Wellness + Wisdom Podcast to unlock your best self with Drew Canole of Organifi: